About the Building
St. Mary's Academy on its Day of Dedication
September 7, 1891
From its inception as St. Mary’s Academy in 1887, the building later known as St. Patrick’s School would operate as a Catholic school in Danville for more than a century.
St. Patrick's School
(After its 1910 Renovation)
The building would be known as St. Mary’s Academy until around 1910 when it became known as St. Patrick’s School and began admitting boys as well as girls. Also in 1910 the west façade of the building was completely redone and the interior of the building was painted. The structure and square footage of the building was maintained at 19,986 square feet.
Holy Family School closed its doors after the 2011 school year. The building sat vacant for the summer and fall of 2011 as the teachers and students were moved into the newly developed Schlarman Academy with all K-8 Catholic students attending one campus (formerly known as St. Paul’s School) and all 9-12 students attending another campus (the site of Schlarman High School).
Danville School District No. 118 elected to purchase the building from the Catholic Diocese of Peoria in the spring of 2012 and plans were made to demolish the older St. Patrick’s building as it would take too much money to bring it up to building code. The expansion of the building built in 1961 would become the new home of all alternative programs for District 118, and was decided to be named Kenneth D. Bailey Academy, in honor of the Congressional Medal of Honor recipient from Danville.
Kenneth D. Bailey Academy officially opened its doors on August 27, 2012 with an enrollment of 84 students; 44 high school students and 40 middle school students. The building was dedicated on September 27, 2012, the 60th anniversary of Major Bailey’s death.





